Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
JA926 – Senior Mechanical Services Design Engineer
Location – Manchester
Salary – £45K – £60K DOE + £400/month car allowance
We are currently recruiting for a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer to join our client who specialise in the design and construction of sophisticated environmental facilities, providing a complete turnkey package to the high technology industries, particularly Food & Beverage, Pharmaceuticals, Fine Chemicals, Biotechnology, Electronics and Nuclear industries. Our clients operate in highly regulated industries and therefore the service we offer is quality always controlled.
Based in Manchester, the Senior Mechanical Design Engineer will report into the Design Manager to provide design activities to various Company Food & Beverage production factory projects, research facilities and clean-room buildings. You will provide full project lifecycle costing and design duties from estimating a solution for a client concept or problem, to a designed and costed proposal, then developing the design to enable successful construction and handover within agreed budgets. This position will be offered as full time and permanent
Aims and Objectives
- You will primarily be involved in the review and evaluation of the required building services systems to various facilities whether new build or refurbishments.
- You could receive initial concepts and briefs, or you could be interpreting a written package of works and developing it into a detailed and coordinated work package.
- There will be governance and employers’ requirements which will differ between the various markets and customers that you will need to understand and apply in your designs.
- To work with the operations team to assist with estimating, programming, and reporting.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Tender stage design and estimation
- Preparation of RFIs to ensure clients’ requirements are achieved and recorded.
- Complying with all latest building regulations, statutory authority legislation and client specifications.
- Understand the Company Quality System, implement and promote.
- Correctly interpret drawings and documents for design purposes.
- Assess buildability of the installation and provide proactive solutions where required, recording residual risks.
- Lead the production of initial Feasibility Studies and Stage 2 concept designs.
- Lead the preparation of Performance and Detailed Specifications and design packages.
- To maintain a close working relationship with Commercial, Engineering and Operations teams, ensuring cohesion in any new business venture.
- Prepare line service drawings / sketches for pricing and client presentations.
- Estimate materials, plant, and labour to provide a tender return.
- Liaising with clients to meet their design brief and build relationships.
- Prepare energy reports and life cycle costs.
Post tender project design and co-ordination
- Prepare in with collaboration with the design the team a risk and opportunities register.
- To issue final construction stage packages with the relevant document issue sheet to clients.
- Attendance to coordination meetings at the client’s site or the delegation of such duties to the project lead CAD technician.
- Report to design manager on production progress and deliverables on a weekly basis using drawing production schedules as a tool.
- Liaising will all disciplines to ensure works are accurately coordinated.
- Inspection of on-site installations.
- Have contract design and estimating experience within the Construction industry and food & Beverage production facilities.
- Track record of obtaining best value costings from multiple vendors.
- Experience in building services drawing production.
- Demonstrable experience in contributing to design review meetings and formalising minutes.
- Experience in presenting proposals to clients.
- Experience in handling material and labour estimating.
- Be able to produce bid documents.
- Conduct presentation of estimates in clear format following the clients preferred tender return format