MM576 – Safety Investigator
Location – Bournemouth or Farnborough
Salary – Competitive
First Military Recruitment is working in partnership with our client to recruit a Safety Investigator to join their team in Bournemouth or Farnborough. Our client is a world leader in providing global aviation services.
This role can be based out of our engineering hub at Bournemouth International Airport or our Head Office in Farnborough. However, it will inevitably require travel to other sites, where safety investigations warrant the investigator to conduct face-to-face interviews and/or examine evidence. In balance, working from home is also permitted during those times where the investigator is writing up investigation reports or processing them in the safety database (iQSMS). The approach to investigations follows the Baines Simmons FAiR 3 methodology, with reports written in the ICAO Annex 13 or MEDA formats, depending on where the investigation is conducted (flight operations or engineering) and the recipients of the report (internal or external).
The Safety Investigator’s responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Undertaking safety investigations in accordance with the process outlined in the Safety Management Manual (SMM.
- Managing safety investigations in the safety database (iQSMS), ensuring that they are appropriately prioritised and completed within the allocated timescales.
- Producing ICAO Annex 13 style investigation reports (in iQSMS or Microsoft Word) for external agencies and/or customers when required (e.g. the CAA, AAIB or Airprox Board).
- Producing Maintenance Error Decision Aid (MEDA) style investigations (in iQSMS or Microsoft Word) where requested by engineering.
- Oversight of investigation stages delegated to others (e.g. safety reps).
- Circulating investigation reports for peer review ahead of an Event Review Group (ERG).
- Organising ERGs with appropriate members, in accordance with the Baines Simmons FAiR 3 methodology.
- Presenting the investigation report to the ERG and updating the report to include the behavioural analysis and any additional recommendations that they wish to add.
- Loading and tracking safety recommendations in the safety database (iQSMS).
- Reporting the status of safety investigations and safety recommendations to the Safety Review Board (SRB).
- This role would ideally be suited to a pilot or engineer, military or civil, that has been trained in aviation safety investigations.
- The incumbent must be a qualified aviation safety investigator with demonstratable experience of undertaking safety investigations in flight operations and engineering.
They must be:
- Able to work autonomously (albeit with line management support at the end of a phone).
- Willing and able to travel to other sites (i.e. have a driving licence, preferably clean).
- Capable of holding a government security clearance (as they will not be permitted access to certain areas without one).
The incumbent will need excellent written and oral communication skills, to be able to work effectively within a highly trained and professional workforce. Similarly, they should be proficient in the use of IT, particularly Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook, with the ability to quickly learn and use databases.
In terms of being a right fit for the role, we need someone that is prepared to help find solutions and be a friendly face of safety in the workplace.
- Competitive Salary
- Flexible/selectable company benefits scheme including:
- Savings on 100s of products and services
- Childcare scheme
- Cycle to work
- Employee Assistance Programme (EAP)
- Eye care
- Gourmet Society and taste cards
- Health and wellbeing scheme
- Health screening
- Income protection
- Life assurance
- Payroll giving
- Smart pension
- Private medical insurance and travel insurance