Operations Supervisor – Cargo
JA860 – Operations Supervisor
Location – Dover
Salary – C£34K
We are currently recruiting for an Operations Supervisor to join our client’s busy team. The successful candidate will plan, maintain, and oversee all operations/labour within the Port of Dover operation, be it on board the vessel or landside. To provide a complete, efficient service to the POD Cargo customers whilst remaining within the set budgetary restraints.
- Prepare and follow meticulous pre-planning procedures of plant and human resources, in-order-to ensure discharge and loading operations are effective within the prescribed time scales and with budgetary restrictions.
- Responsible and accountable for the container operation, to ensure that they are devanned according to the customer requirements.
- Responsible for the control and correct use of the terminal cold store’s including chamber monitoring, temperature control and structural condition, whilst conforming to all statutory requirements.
- Responsible for the safety and security of staff and other personnel associated with the operation, whilst conforming to all POD Cargo and statutory requirements.
- The jobholder will be a champion for change.
- The jobholder will be a champion of Health & Safety.
- The jobholder will also be required to liaise with and monitor the performance of suppliers and contractors selected by POD Cargo to deliver any services or equipment on its behalf.
- Support the Training Supervisor and Planning Manager in identifying and specifying the required training needed for the Stevedores.
- Oversee the day-to-day operational activities.
- Liaise with internal and external suppliers, customers, and contractors.
- Implement safety checks, ensure risk assessments are carried out and monitor all health & safety issues related to the Safe use of plant equipment, attachments, and associated contractors.
- Ensure that equipment is serviceable and safe and report all defects for remedial action without delay.
- Ensure all Key Performance Indicators (KPI) are monitored and met.
- Agree, install, and maintain high standards of performance, behaviour and appearance within the Cargo Stevedores team.
- Carry out all duties in compliance with POD Cargo policies and procedures and Operating procedures.
- Be responsible for the identification and management of risks, both hazardous and opportunistic and to actively promote a risk awareness and safety culture in accordance with the Company’s risk management and health & safety policies.
- Carry out investigations where there is a need following either an accident, incident or near miss.
- To comply with environmental instructions and to identify potential risks to the environment, or areas where environmental impact can be reduced.
- To raise quality non-conformances via the reporting system where an issue has been identified where customer services or statutory requirements are being affected.
Skills and Qualifications
- Previous supervisory experience within a Cargo facility or similar
- Experience of discharging/loading vessels within tight deadlines
- Have sound knowledge of cargo slinging and lifting techniques
- Maintain optimum productivity
- Have excellent planning and delegation skills
- Be computer literate and proficient in MS Office
- Good interpersonal, negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Be physically fit and be able to climb ladders and work at heights
- GCSE in Maths and English or equivalent