Principal FPGA Engineer
MM560 – Principal FPGA Engineer
Location – North London
Salary – Competitive
First Military Recruitment is working in partnership with our client to recruit a Principal FPDA Engineer to join their team. Our client is a world class technology company providing cutting edge solutions.
The Principal FPGA Engineer is responsible for the decomposition of top level system or product requirements into an implementable FPGA architecture. The Principal Engineer is responsible for FPGA developments from preliminary specification to verified design running on the target hardware. The Principal Engineer provides expert knowledge of electronic design, test and certification of systems based around advanced FPGAs. The Principal Engineer will also, in conjunction with the FPGA Engineering Manager, provide coaching, leadership and guidance to other Design Engineers.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Use good engineering practice to produce Firmware for new, innovative and profitable products and solutions for the business.
- Support and enhance existing Firmware in accordance with business and commercial requirements.
- Be responsible for defining requirements for a feature/bug fix up to full system level; design and document a solution that meets the requirements; and, implement, test and verify the design meets the requirements with supported test evidence.
- Undertake design, implementation and debugging of VHDL based FPGA hardware.
- Undertake design and development of test benches and vectors to verify VHDL based FPGA.
- Write technical documentation including requirement specifications, test specification and functional description.
- Will be expected to take responsibility of multiple projects/work packages. This will involve scoping the task and defining resources together with estimated time scales. Project ownership will involve monitoring project progress and reporting to stake holders.
- Be knowledgeable of HENSOLT UK working polices and ensure they are followed throughout the team.
- Be responsible for building a Software/Firmware package for release; including: configuring the release, raising the appropriate documentation and chairing the release meeting.
- Technical liaison within and outside HENSOLDT UK with customers, suppliers and collaborators on Firmware related matters.
- Be able to use test equipment such as: oscilloscopes, spectrum analysers, signal generators, etc. to test hardware on the bench running your implemented Firmware and verify it operates as expected.
- Mentoring of junior members of the team and providing construct feedback in code/document reviews.
- Conduct appropriate Design Reviews of FPGA design and VHDL implementation.
- Undertake system design at the highest level and creation of suitable documentation to allow implementation of system to take place.
- Write technical documentation including requirement specifications, test specification and functional description
- Provide in house training on FPGA design, techniques and tools.
- Provide a leadership and supervisory role for more junior engineers.
- Take part in higher-level product definition and design review activity, providing expert input from an FPGA perspective.
- Promote the business of HENSOLDT UK within appropriate forums.
- Travel within the UK may be required, and is considered an occasional feature of this role. This could be required at short notice.
- Undertake other tasks as required by more senior management.
Skills and Qualification
- An excellent Masters or Bachelors Degree from a good university.
- 10 or more years’ experience working on FPGA designs.
- Experience working on systems containing multiple FPGAs.
- Proven track record of analysing system requirements at the highest level and decomposing them into a suitable implementation for a product.
- Proven track record of producing designs on time and within budget.
- Good command of written and verbal English.
- Experience working on Radar or related DSP applications.
In Return our client offers
- Competitive Salary
- Group Stakeholder Pension Scheme
- Life Assurance 2 x Annual Salary
- Employee Assistance Program
- Healthshield (Healthcare)
- Flight Centre VIP
- And more