JS274 – Principal Engineer
Salary: Circa £60,000 + Benefits
Following continued growth and success over the last few years my client is now seeking an experienced Principal Engineer.
Accountable for leading the design and specification of their hardware and electrical interfaces with their client, you will have the technical ability and credibility to challenge current approaches and lead the implementation of best practice. A ‘can do’ attitude with the ability to lead technical resources and inspire them to deliver to quality, on time, and within budget is a must.
You will lead the design and specification of hardware and electrical interfaces with the client’s existing infrastructure, systems, and equipment, including human factors compliance. Utilising excellent communication and collaborative skills, across teams and external partners, you will ensure this is fit for purpose, appropriately rigorous and relevant to our operational context.
You’ll bring broad multi-disciplinary engineering knowledge, innovative ideas and solutions, to the way we and our clients do things, as well as an ability to see and influence the wider picture to improve and develop our operations from a technical perspective.
Our client encourages applications from former service personnel, however all qualified applicants will be taken into consideration.
Duties and Responsibilities :
- Delivering electromechanical design and specification activities for high-availability computer systems and associated equipment to quality, time, and cost, ensuring: o Quality/appropriateness of designs.
- Compliance with/setting strategy re design principles.
- Identification and management of risk.
- Take the lead in key factors such as make/buy decisions.
- Developing and driving the implementation of industry-wide best practice in the function.
- Developing people and capabilities to meet current and future needs.
- Be a passionate and energising advocate for change, leading continuous improvement activities and presenting alternatives to the status quo.
- Proactively work with other Directorates to ensure interfaces and process are efficient, understood, and meet the needs of the business.
- Reports to Head of Engineering.
- Engineering team colleagues, Vision, Development and Procurement teams.
- Project Realisation (project management) team.
Skills and Experience :
- Incorporated/Chartered Electrical Engineer with experience of leading electrical and multi-disciplinary design teams.
- Electrical design experience: ITC, networks, LV power, circuit protection, EMC, thermal management. Estimating time and cost.
- Has a good understanding of IT and modern infrastructure delivery approaches.
- Proactively identifies, manages, and reduces solution design risks.
- Proven ability to identify and deliver process improvements.
- Resilient and thrives on getting the job done with the team to drive our success.
- Hands on approach when appropriate.
- A passionate, engaging leader that inspires teams.
- Balances strong customer focus with an understanding of scope and contractual obligations.
- Strong written and verbal communicator.
- Strong supportive leadership skills, with multiple modes of managing through probing questioning, coaching, and challenging, to support our goals.
- Experience in successfully delivering change through continuous improvement techniques and a strong understanding of industry best practice.
Whilst experience in safety-related environments, and an understanding of project delivery and product development methodologies is desirable, it is not essential. Training and support will be available for the right candidate.
Salary: Circa £60,000 + Benefits