Operational Support Assistant
GC138: Operational Support Assistant
Location: London E1
Salary: £22,653 pa (+mutually agreed OT) / 6 month full time contract.
First Military Recruitment are delighted to be working in partnership with Veterans Aid (VA) as part of our ‘Giving Back’ campaign. We are looking to recruit on the charity’s behalf an ‘all-rounder’ who can offer operational support on a shift basis to the New Belvedere House (NBH) Manager and Deputy Manager as required. They will also provide a quality service to all 66 NBH residents compatible with the assessed needs of each individual. You will be involved in everything from helping to arrange Housing Benefits for residents to cleaning rooms.
The aim of NBH is to provide every resident with a transforming experience that translates into organised and effective reintegration into the community. As the NBH Support Worker, you will be responsible to assist the NBH Manager and Deputy Manager in the day-to-day operations. You will provide maintenance and upkeep support.
This job is subject to enhanced DBS check and two satisfactory references.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- To support the aims and objectives of the Charity and assist the NBH Manager in the organisation of NBH.
- To maintain high standards of work, this includes providing a clean, safe, caring environment to enable the emotional, and social development of a VA client, through individual attention and group activities.
- To ensure vacant bedrooms are prepared to a satisfactory condition and have adequate provisions, including clean bed linen.
- To ensure maximum standards of health, safety and hygiene are both established and maintained in all communal areas, both internal and external to the building.
- To monitor and clean nominated floors of the NBH.
- To supervise residents’ behaviour as part of the process of maintaining the safety and security of the NBH and preventing damage to the property.
- To act as a key worker with nominated residents and work with them through support plan, risk assessment and support needs assessment.
- To prepare references for nominated residents such as VNS (Veterans Nomination Scheme), college, training courses, job opportunities.
- To arrange Housing Benefit claims for nominated residents and any other relevant and compulsory documents when the resident moves in and to check, through the Tower Hamlets Portal, if the correct rent is being paid. *Should a resident start an employment, a payslip has to be submitted to the HB.
- To formalise the move-out process such as cancelling Housing Benefit claims for particular resident, filling out the required move out sheets or any other mandatory document.
- To complete A Forms for individual residents, following our office policy.
- To follow up immediately and appropriately any misconduct of the resident such as abusive behaviour, uncleanliness, use of alcohol or drugs or lateness (this includes creating a comprehensive written report of the incident); if required seek managerial support from the Deputy Manager.
- To coordinate cash spending on residents and VA staff when on duty; including keeping accurate records and carrying the handover when finishing the shift.
- To be prepared to work flexibly, including the cover of additional shifts during employee’s absence.
- To be prepared to undertake cleaning duties that include wiping the floors, handrails, desks and cleaning toilets and shower-rooms.
- To maintain open, caring and non-judgemental care and service to all residents at the NBH.
- To ensure confidentiality of information received.
- To liaise with outside agencies as required and instructed by the Deputy Manager or the
- NBH Manager.
- To undertake admin duties such as:
- Carefully filling and arranging all the necessary documents.
- Arranging furniture and carpet orders for move on residents.
- Monitoring and ordering stocks of stationery and necessary equipment.
- Telephone Enquiries.
- Booking taxis.
- Dealing with general enquiries of VA and welcome any visitors visiting .