EJ752 – HGV Mechanic
Location: Heathrow Airport
Salary: £40k – Rising to £50k after training + 8% pension
First Military Recruitment are currently seeking an HGV Mechanic on behalf of one of our clients.
To carry out scheduled maintenance, quality control checks and defect rectification on all fuelling vehicles and act as a fuelling operator when required.
Our client encourages applications from ex-military personnel however all candidates will be given due consideration.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To carry out repairs, defect rectification and routine maintenance to documented standards on all fuelling vehicles and equipment, in a timely manner and ensuring all are appropriately recorded.
- To carry out regulatory quality control checks on fuelling vehicles.
- To ensure that the workshop is maintained to a high standard and is a safe and orderly workplace, including all storage, working and break areas.
- To work individually or as part of a team within a system of single and multiple work allocation.
- To drive and operate refuelling vehicles and equipment in accordance with all Company and mandatory regulations.
- To carry out all tasks in accordance with JIG QC manuals, vehicle manufactures manual, Health, Safety & Security, JV airlines and any other mandatory regulations.
- To act as VSB fitter / mechanic with general workshop duties and always present a professional appearance (correct PPE for task at hand).
- Timely Commissioning of any new mechanical equipment brought into service.
- To be responsible for own activity, following instructions and ensuring all tasks are processed and conducted efficiently and effectively, ensuring a total quality service.
- Ensure adherence to operation and safety procedures, reporting non-adherence appropriately.
- Report incidents, accidents and near-misses as per procedures.
- Develop and maintain an excellent relationship with colleagues, management and other airport operators.
- To be a qualified aircraft Fueller and carry out occasional fuelling to remain current.
- To check vehicles prior to use, reporting unserviceability to the Supervisor and completing defect reports where appropriate.
- Conduct regular walk about inspections to ensure good husbandry of all VSB areas.
- To perform any other duty that may reasonably be allocated by the Operations Manager.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Significant experience in a Fueller position.
- Significant personal or professional experience as a Fitter or mechanic, ideally working on commercial vehicles.
- Proven experience in developing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Relevant experience in vehicle / equipment / machinery quality control.
- Detailed working knowledge of both aircraft fuelling equipment and vehicle mechanics.
- Working knowledge of safety principles and regulations.
- Proven ability to communicate effectively and in an appropriate manner.
- Proven ability to deliver consistent top-quality service.
- Ability to maintain a clean and tidy workplace always.
- Proven ability to work under pressure in a noisy and potentially stressful environment.
- Essential ability to work shifts including weekends and Bank Holidays as required.
- Ability to accept and apply constructive criticism and advice in a positive manner.
- Sound judgement and positive attitude.
- Ability to work instinctively and proactively resolve issues within Company rules.
- Tactful and diplomatic.
- Logical and common-sense approach to work.
- A positive approach to achieving Company goals.
- Close attention to detail always.
- Full LGVC driving licence.
- Essential ability to secure required airport security pass and airside driving licence.
- Knowledge of Airfield SOP’s, and workshops practice.
- Appropriate mechanical qualification.
- ADR licence desirable.
- Completion of vetting process, including receipt of satisfactory references of a minimum 5 years and a criminal records check.
- Completion of a satisfactory health assessment which may involve attending a medical which may include alcohol/substance abuse test.
- Providing evidence of being entitled to live and work in the UK