Head of Defence Operations
DC239 – Head of Defence Operations
Location – Gateshead
Salary – £56,000
First Military Recruitment is working in partnership with our client to recruit a Head of Defence Operations to join their Head Office team in Gateshead.
Duties and Responsilities:
The Head of Defence Operations deputises for the Defence Director and is responsible for delivery of the portfolio of the company’s operations and projects. The role reports directly to the Defence Director, liaises regularly with the company General Manager and provides recommendations to the Board of Directors. They are responsible for providing business intelligence to senior stakeholders, authoring board reports and representing the interests of the company.
The Head of Defence Operations is the accountable line manager of full-time-employees (FTEs) and provides management oversight of other FTEs. They are responsible for organising and executing the training plan for all staff. The incumbent will be the project management and business change champion for the company.
The incumbent will also fulfil the roles of Export Controller and Head of the Office of Airworthiness for the company’s Design Approved Organization Scheme (DAOS) and Air Traffic Management (ATM) Equipment Approved Organization Scheme (AAOS) accreditations under the Military Aviation Authority.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Experience of managing engineering, technology, manufacturing or related projects and programmes throughout their entire life cycle.
- Knowledge of P3 management.
- Experience of managing operational planning and delivery tasks in a fast-moving, high-pressure environment.
- Knowledge of operations management.
- Experience of working within the UK Armed Forces, UK Defence Sector or Ministry of Defence, within an ‘Official’ or higher security classification role.
- Experience of leading and managing a multi-traded, technical department of more than fifteen people.
- Experience of carrying out HR actions for direct employees, including: appraisal reporting, disciplinary action, mediations, dismissals and redundancies.
- Knowledge of effective leadership and management techniques.
- Experience of working in a management position, with direct budgetary responsibility for business-as-usual, operational, project and training tasks.
- Experience of working in a commercial environment, involving contractual negotiations, issuing statements on behalf of the company, agreeing contracts/memorandums of understanding and seeking formal advice.
- Knowledge of the manner in which UK private companies are run, including: the PO & invoice process, profit & loss, margins, balance sheets and the management processes of a publicly listed company.
- Experience of providing advice to Director and board level.
- Experience of conducting analysis on data of various forms, making accurate deductions and recommending courses of action.
- Experience of presenting data in a clear fashion to a wide audience range.
- Experience of using a range of MS Office software, to a high standard.
- Experience of travelling for business, to both private and public locations.
- Be able to hold Security Clearance.
- Hold and maintain a full UK driver’s license.
- Be available for national and international travel, that will involve staying overnight at various locations, from time to time.
- Level 6 qualification (BSc/BA/BEng) in engineering, business, finance, leadership, management or a related subject [essential].
- Intermediate level qualification in programme management (MSP) [essential].
- Full Member of APM, or have enthusiasm to work towards becoming a full member of APM [desirable].
In return our client offers:
- A salary of £56,000.
- 25 Days holidays plus bank holidays.
- Other benefits (TBC).