Design Engineer [Building Services]
DC357 – Design Engineer [Building Services]
Location – Bromsgrove
Salary – £Competitive DOE
First Military Recruitment is working partnership with our client to recruit a Design Engineer to join their team in Bromsgrove. The Design Engineer will design and estimate building services projects in a manner that allows our client, a market leader HVAC provider, to meet their objectives whilst retaining their spiritual trinity of business intent, customer connection, and employee experience.
Duties and Responsibilities (extract):
- Complete and be able to review all necessary design calculations for the following: Heat Losses, Heat Gains, Airflow Calculations, Pipe Sizing, Duct Sizing, Pressure Drops, AC Design, Cable Sizing, Gas Design, Drainage & Public Health Design, LEV Design, Ventilation Design & Specialist Ventilation Design, Electrical Design, Plant Sizing & Sign Off, AHU/ Fan Selection, Odour Control Selection.
- Being responsible for completing, overseeing, and checking designs and estimates.
- Dealing with enquires and understanding project specifications and requirements.
- Issue technical queries to clients where clarification is required.
- Understand and define the project scope either specifically or in a Mechanical/Electrical/M&E capacity.
- Reviewing, understanding and defining the scope of works for mechanical, electrical, instrumentation and controls.
- Prepare equipment schedules for estimating/final design and check those generated by others.
- Issue enquires/obtain prices for component items.
- Managing the estimate of a project, ensure all items are included to the correct client scope in accordance with the project specific contract, including ensuring that the opening profit margin is in excess of the agreed minimum business percentage value.
- Prepare cost estimates and check those generated by others.
- Prepare tenders and check those generated by others.
- Check General Arrangement drawings before internal sign off.
- Assist in the procurement of specialist packages.
- Prepare Technical Submissions and check those generated by others.
- Prepare Controls Philosophy’s where required and check those generated by others.
- Understand the H&S requirements of a project to ensure it is costed and designed in accordance with CDM regulations and is practical to install on site.
- Complete & review Design Hazard & Risk Assessments.
- Attend site as part of the Project Team for design and project progress meetings and/or surveys.
- Prepare Commissioning Plans.
Skills and Experience (extract):
- Previous experience in a building services design role.
- Working in the Utilities or Construction industry for 6+ years.
- Strong industrial HVAC knowledge and experience.
- Odour control knowledge (within Industrial teams)
- Knowledge and experience with fans/AC/Control Panels/all mechanical plant.
- Knowledge of the Water and Construction industries.
- CSCS White Card.
- Competent intermediate of complete MS Office package, and Autocad 2D Level 2 or above.
- Advanced at using relevant industry software (for Mechanical roles – HEVACOMP, IES ad; for Elecrical roles – AMTECH).
- Technical competency demonstrated through relevant HNC.
- LEV System Design competency demonstrated through completion of P601 & P602.
- Competency in Leadership & Management demonstrated through ILM Level 3 Award.
- Competency in NEC contract demonstrated through completion of Introduction to NEC course and ability to implement requirements at design stage of projects.
- Competency in H&S demonstrated through IOSH Managing Safely or NEBOSH General & Construction.
- Minimum of GCSEs (or equivalent) in Maths, English, Science, Design Technology + 3 others Grade C or above.
- Clean driving licence.
In return our client offers:
- A competitive score-weighted salary DOE.
- High specification IT equipment.
- Minimum 4 weeks Holiday + Statutory Holidays.
- Option of a Company Pension.
- Opportunity to grow in the role and challenge self, including personal development.
- Training provided to improve the candidate’s knowledge in general or in a specific area and to meet the requirements of the company Academy.